3 Easy & Delicious Blueberry Appetizers
Use blueberries in savory dishes for that unexpected wow of flavor and color!
My friends and family love my tomato bruschetta, so I thought I’d try making a sweeter version - it is so good, I can’t stop eating them!
1 cup fresh (or thawed) blueberries
1 package goat cheese
Several leaves of fresh basil
- Slice a baguette diagonally into ½” thick slices. Spread slices on a cookie sheet and toast in a 350 degree oven until lightly browed (may desire to flip and toast other side but not necessary.
- Spread soft goat cheese evenly onto the slices.
- Top goat cheese with blueberries, lightly pressing them into the cheese.
- Drizzle honey over the blueberries as much or as little as you like.
- Slice the fresh basil leaves into thin ribbons (or rip into small pieces) and sprinkle over the blueberries and honey.
I love to use naan with all sorts of toppings, but decided to combine savory and sweet!
2 naan flatbread (I like to use Stonefire brand)
½ - 1 cup blueberries (to your liking)
1 cup whipped feta (recipe below or buy President brand in the deli case)
2 tablespoons pine nuts, optional
Balsamic vinegar glaze (this is thickened vinegar that is ready to buy at most grocery stores)
½ brick cream cheese
½ cup crumbled feta cheese
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp chopped garlic
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Make the whipped feta by blending all of the ingredients until smooth in a food processor. (This is fantastic for so many other appetizers too!)
- Spread each flatbread with the whipped feta and place on the baking sheet.
- Top the flatbread with blueberries, pressing them slightly into the cheese. Sprinkle with pine nuts (optional) and drizzle balsamic vinegar over entire flatbread.
- Bake for 10 - 15 minutes until naan is toasty and the blueberries soften. Slice into serving size portions - a pizza cutter or large chopping knife makes this easy.
Instead of cherry tomatoes, substitute sweet, blueberries for an unexpected and delicious treat!
Small fresh mozzarella balls
Fresh basil leaves
Small skewers, about 4” in length
Balsamic vinegar glaze
- Hold end of skewer and slide one mozzarella ball to where your fingers hold the skewer, leave room at the end of the skewer.
- Pick out the largest blueberries and slide one on the skewer up tight to the cheese.
- Take one fresh basil leave and fold over and slide onto skewer up tight to the blueberry.
- Repeat the pattern one more mozzarella ball and finish with a blueberry.
- Lay skewers across a serving plater or platter and drizzle all of them with balsamic vinegar. Serve or refrigerate until serving.